My son does not want to go to rehab, he believes he can either get better by himself, or, probably more likely, he can keep a job and get an apartment while he continues using illegal drugs.
this is a letter I shared with him just before we went on a cruise. He is currently homeless, broke, jobless, and couch surfing. He has no car, no drivers license, no real future.
As a father I want to take him home and make him whole and right again. As a person who had dealt with addictions before, I know he will have to help himself first. Anything I do will be enabling him.
Someone said doing the same thing
over and over expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
The chains of 'addiction' are too
light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken. – Warren Buffet
Addiction:
Addiction is characterized by
inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving,
diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and
interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other
chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without
treatment or recovery, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or
premature death.
Your life defines the first
sentence, the last one is what concerns me the most! I Love you. Marissa &
Mason Love You. Delilah thinks you are the greatest uncle ever!! Oma Loves You!
Mom Loves you. If you won't go into rehab for yourself, please consider the
other people in your life.
My point is this; you have tried
to 'get your life together' several times before; Horrocks, Meijer, Blu
Perspective, Challenge Machine, Norton Packaging. Holland, Grand Rapids, Hamilton,
South Haven, Grand Haven, all have ended in the same result. How many places have
you lived in the past couple years? How many times have you wanted to
"start over"? How many times have you found yourself in a hospital or
court, and homeless?
Your uncontrollable desire to get
high causes problems with your judgment usually ending in encounters with
Police, Paramedics, Court Systems, hospitals, angry people, disappointed girlfriends
and family. IS THIS THE LIFE YOU WANT? I block your calls, mom wont talk to
you, Mason can't handle it, Marissa doesn't want you there.
I am writing this in the hope
that, well you don’t just throw it away without reading it. But also, to
perhaps make you think about your life. You are a very intelligent person. When
you don’t have drugs in your system you an awesome human being. We liked having straight and sober Alex living
with us. We didn’t like the other asshole.
Think about your life to this
point. Your intentions are good, I know what you wish to do and I hope you are
strong enough to accomplish it. However, addictions like yours are progressive
meaning they get worse over time. In another couple of years you will be more
addicted than you are now.
If you were to start recovery
today, in three months you would be getting out with a new outlook on life, new
friends, and a support system capable of helping you when the pull of addiction
starts again.
Tammy, Mary, and I, indeed the
whole family are fully committed to helping you rebuild when you get out.
Again, If you wont do it for
yourself, please consider doing it for your family; Dad, Marissa, Mason,
Delilah, Tammy, Mary, Ben, Oma, mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment